libssh multi-threading issue

Hi,
I am implementing a shared library, and met the threading issue when the program calls my library and executes multiple threads in parallel. Since my lib is being called by other program, I cannot initialize the threading outside of any threading context as mentioned here: http://api.libssh.org/master/libssh_tutor_threads.html
My control to the code is limited within the scope of my library. I am wondering if there is any workaround other than changing code ouside my library?
Thanks,
Anne