libssh + libevent documention / example?

I'm trying to integrate libssh into an existing libevent based application to allow my code to drive an remote shell. I'm have a couple of questions.

  - Is this possible? is there an example which shows how this might work?

  - I see the poll functions but I'm not sure how to integrate them with libevent, if possible.

  - my naïve approach of just calling ssh_connect() and then ssh_get_fd() and passing the resultant fd into lib event did connect to the remote machine, but I'm reading garbage out of my libevent calls.

  - I assume I need to call ssh_channel_request_shell() but then how does that interact with the fd that is returned from ssh_get_fd()?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated

John