windows static build question

Hello,

I'm contributor of ffmpeg project. We have support for sftp via libssh
library.

Recently we got a patch that defines LIBSSH_STATIC before including
libssh's header.
This is a link to the full thread on our mailing list
http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2014-February/153993.html

Patch looks like this:

+#define LIBSSH_STATIC
 #include <libssh/sftp.h>

This supposed to fix static linking on windows.
Macro is added unconditionaly and we wonder if using it for
dynamic libs on windows or outside windows is safe, unsafe or undefined.

It seems to be OK for now, but we wanted to ask about your opinion about
that.

Best Regards,
Lukasz Marek