ssh_channel_open_session slow to return

I am doing some final testing on an application using libSSH.

I created a situation where I make an SSH call to a machine with a
user that is not permissioned to go to that server.

This is something that is probably going to happen ocasionally.

What I am finding is that it takes two minutes for the
*ssh_channel_open_session* call to return with SSH_ERROR.

Is there a way I can make this much faster? I can not see a timeout
equivelant function of ssh_channel_open_session.

This is both a problem becuase it is going to clog up my thread pool
and because we can not inform the user for several minutes that there
is an issue.

Do you have any advise on how to deal with a ssh_channel_open_session
call taking 2 minutes?

Paul