Why SSH_TIMEOUT_DEFAULT is always used in channel functions

Hi,
I'm using libssh version 0.8.6 to send files and commands to a device. I
noticed, that if I disconnect ethernet cable, functions like
ssh_channel_request_exec or ssh_channel_open_session hang for a very long
time. After looking through the code I discovered, that all channel
functions use SSH_TIMEOUT_DEFAULT, thus ignoring user specified timeout.
Is this intended? If yes, how can I prevent my program from hanging in such
situations?

Regards,
Franciszek