agent forwarding help needed

Hello,

I'd like to implement a simple ssh client with auth agent forwarding, but I can't find any documentation or guidance how to do so.

Could anybody give me at least high level overview of the process?

My guess is that after ssh connection is established I'll have to request an auth agent channel from the server with ssh_channel_request_auth_agent(). Server will do the $SSH_AUTH_SOCKET setup & open channel back to the client.

Perhaps client should register a .channel_open_request_auth_agent_function???

So, what should this callback do? I see it is expected to return a ssh_channel pointer – where does this channel come from? Once created, should I somehow connect this new channel to the client side $SSH_AUTH_SOCKET? How?

I was surprised google search came up empty on this topic.