Peer to peer libssh usage questions

I am trying to design a peer to peer application and having a multi
processes is not an option but we still need secure communication between
hosts.

I am have following questions:

1. I understand that multi process ssh server/client is recommended, is
there a way to establish connections to multiple hosts in the non blocking
way (similar to using non blocking unix domain sockets and poll to connect
to multiple hosts without any multi threading). I couldn't find the
examples or documentation on how to do it? Can I get some pointers?

2. I need some error handling to be done if connection gets dropped.
According to this
https://www.libssh.org/archive/libssh/2019-03/0000011.html, I should set
SO_KEEPALIVE and keep calling libssh functions needing IO.
Is it stil the best way?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Vish