getting details on ssh_pki_* errors

Is it possible to get more details when SSH_ERROR is returned from the various ssh_pki_* functions? For example, if I pass the wrong password into ssh_pki_import_privkey_file I see 'OpenSSH private key unpack error (correct password?)' printed out. In other cases ( like if I corrupt the file itself ) the call fails but nothing appears to be printed. In both these cases I'd like to report a useful error message to the user.

Thanks

John